Sunday, March 10, 2013

Are you trying too hard to be a good investor?

Dear Fellow Investor,

A few days ago I came across a speech called "Trying too hard" which was written in 1981 by Dean Williams of Batterymarch Financial Management.  This short document is one of the most readable and powerful summaries of what I would call the 'correct' mindset for investing in the stock market.  

I hope the following quotes give you a flavour of what the speech is about:

"The investment world I think I know anything about is a lot more like quantum physics than it is like Newtonian physics"

"You can be a successful investor without being a perpetual forecaster"

"Respect the virtues of a simple investment plan"

"whatever their investment plans were, they had the discipline and good sense  to carry them out consistently"

"Spend your time measuring value instead of generating information.  Don't forecast.  Buy what's cheap today."

You can download the full speech in PDF format here.

If you're a keen stock picker you may have heard of Stockopedia and its new-ish PRO service.  I've had quite a few questions from subscribers about them in the last year, so I've written a review which hopefully gives you some idea of what they offer in contrast to a subscription to UK Value Investor, and what I think about their PRO service in general.

Click here to read my review of Stockopedia PRO >>

Last but not least, the March issue of UK Value Investor went out to subscribers a few days ago.  This month's Buy Alert details my research into, and subsequent decision to buy, a FTSE 100 company with long-term growth rates above 10% and a dividend yield well over 4%.

If you're interested you can find out more about the newsletter here >>

And don't forget you can always email me with any questions you have, provided they are loosely investment related.

Have a good weekend,

John Kingham
Editor, UK Value Investor
Email: john@ukvalueinvestor.com

PS. You can get a £50 discount on Stockopedia PRO if you are an existing UK Value Investor subscriber - More about this and other benefits of subscribing >>
PPS
. You can also get a £100 discount on tickets to the London Value Investor conference using discount code UKVALINV123 - More about the conference >>

Note: I provide information for investors who can make their own decisions.  I do not provide financial advice.  You should seek a professional advisor if you think you need one.  Please remember that the value of investments and their income can fall as well as rise.






Sent to primecode.news@blogger.com — why did I get this?
unsubscribe from this list | update subscription preferences
UK Value Investor · Unit 5 · Pluto House · Ashford, Kent TN23 1PP